The ‘Hope Beyond Despair’ Group

Sarah Perez, Liberal Arts

I have always enjoyed history, specifically American History. I have always felt in middle/high school that teachers weren’t giving us the full story of historical events. When it comes to African American history I feel American history would not be fulfilled with out the knowledge of slavery and activism of African Americans in this nation.

Santana Alvarado, Sociology

African American history was helped my understanding of this society and how our imperialist white supremacist patriarchal capitalist system came to be, which helps me to more fully critically think of ways to combat the oppression rampant against Black communities across the nation and around world.  African American history tells the history of people who are full of spirit, struggle, and commitment to life giving liberation and love. It has been a course that empowers me and broadens my understanding and perspective.

Lydia Cunningham, Liberal Arts

Being an African American herself, she feels that this class is not only relevant to the times but essential in learning about African American history.